Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Windows 10 – Very good so far, but be careful


I did my first Windows 10 computer upgrade yesterday.  And I learned some things to watch out for.



---

According to our blog statistics, Microsoft Windows users currently comprise 83% of our readership.  So we are happy to report that our first encounter with Windows 10 is very nice.

I did my first install of the new OS on one of my home Windows 7 computers, and ran into only one small problem.  I tried to do the first installation by selecting and downloading the DVD “ISO” image.  While I was able to successfully create the disk, when trying to install the software it would not accept my valid license key.  My guess is that I created a Windows 10, 64-bit Home Edition disk, but tried to install it over Windows 7 Pro edition machine, apparently that is a no-no.

Giving up on that, I just ran the “install from web” option and no problems at all.  It took nearly two hours to do all the installation tasks (with entertaining graphics).  But when done there was a complete system.  Very good!

Now for the warning.  When starting Windows 10 for the first time I was asked about security settings.  I pretty much turned all of them off (like location tracking).  Anyway, to be safe you might want to take a look at this “TechRepublic” article; “Windows 10 violates your privacy by default, here’s how you can protect yourself” that contains example screen shots as to what settings are available.

I suggest check the article out before installing so you can understand what is being asked, and so you are prepared with your answers to speed your installation.

Good luck!


No comments:

Post a Comment