- 424 two-hour DVD-quality movies or-
- 1500 hours of VHS-quality video or
- 880 days of around-the-clock MP3 audio or
- 373,000 vivid digital photos or
- 2132 action-packed games!
Thursday, February 19, 2009
Another landmark day in computer technology occurred recently. I received an ad selling a 1 terabyte disk drive for $89.99 or 10 cents per gigabyte. Now for comparison what does this mean? A survey of the Arizona courts found that the paper files both current and past in more than 170 courts could fit on less than 3 terabytes or $270 less tax and shipping worth of drives. Of course in a real server situation we would want to do a RAID, etc. But the achievement is significant nonetheless. Other numbers listed in the ad show that the drive would hold: