Monday, December 9, 2013

25 Years Later, PACER, Electronic Filing Continue to Change Courts

In the above titled article dated December 9, 2013, the US Federal Courts celebrated the 25th Anniversary of the approval of the PACER online system.  The article begins:


---
"Twenty-five years ago, computers were hurtling America into the Information Age. From 1987 to 1989, the nation’s PC sales tripled, as consumers gained unprecedented power to process words, crunch numbers and print documents at home. The World Wide Web was still being invented, but early adopters were discovering personal email. 
In federal courts, the revolution also was getting under way. Documents were still kept on paper, and law firm couriers lined up daily in clerk’s offices, waiting to pore through case files, but all that was about to change. 
In September 1988, the Judicial Conference of the United States approved a new way of opening information to the public, through a service known as PACER—Public Access to Court Electronic Records. 
PACER, now celebrating its 25th anniversary, and Case Management/Electronic Case Files (CM/ECF), an electronic case management system that began in the late 1990s, have together fundamentally changed how federal courts, and the lawyers, judges and staff who work in them, perform their jobs."
For the full article with photos click here.

5 comments:

  1. James - I noticed a few months ago you switched to a new mobile format for your blog. Since then, I have been unable to read your blog from my iPhone (where I do most of my blog reading). The "Read More >>" link simply refreshes the screen and I can never see more than the first paragraph.
    Thanks,
    Dean Merritt
    File & ServeXpress
    PS - It was a pleasure meeting you at CTC!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dean for writing. I have an iPhone too and it looked fine two weeks ago when I last checked. I will check it anew later this week when I get back to a place where my phone data will work. But I do use Chrome as my primary iPhone browser and not much Safari. So this being a Google blogger website you might check that out?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dean - I changed the template. Try it and let me know if anything improved? And yes, I also enjoyed meeting you at CTC.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Working perfectly now in Safari and the Reeder app!! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great. Thanks for reporting the problem.

    ReplyDelete